Monthly Archives: September 2004

Dreamweaver and Mason Rewrite

The site has been redesigned. I started with a design based on a template found in Macromedia’s Dreamweaver MX, part of Studio MX. The folks at Macromedia were nice enough to send me a copy to try out and I’d have to say that I’m fairly pleased with it. Web design is never easy, or at least it’s never easy to do well (as I prove time and again). Luckily, I was able to use Dreamweaver to get the basic design down.

The look and feel are the most difficult parts of the site since I’m nothing close to graphically oriented. Dreamweaver made it incredibly easy to come up with the look and feel. Once I got the look and feel, I converted the site to a Mason-based site. That should make it easier to manage for the times when I need to add or change something on the site and I’m not near a Windows box. I should note that I didn’t try to use the ‘Server Technology’ option in Dreamweaver either. Using that feature I could’ve designed a PHP/MySQL site through the product.

I’m interested to try Quanta again for web design as it’s been a few years since I had designed any type of N-page site. However, I’d have no problem recommending any of the Macromedia products included in Studio MX to someone looking to design a web site on a Windows client.

Parrot for Debian

Built a first-go at a deb package with Parrot 0.1.0. Note that this package is not sane insofar as lintian produces warnings (not errors). One area is not accounted for:

1. Man pages. I’ve not done the man page stuff for this release.

The deb is here. Please give me feedback as I only have three deb machines on which to install this package, it’s not what I would call ‘tested’. Use at your own risk.

Steve